Monday, September 27, 2010

#Wikipedia goes #OpenID

The case for OpenID has been made often enough on this blog. Implementing it for the projects of the Wikimedia Foundation only makes sense when both the provider and the user functionality are implemented.

Ryan Lane writes on his blog that he is now a full time Operations Engineer. In the blog he writes several goals that he aims to achieve. Point 4 is the one about OpenID.

If there is one downside to this list, it is its ambition. There are more things that are really needed. One way of reading it is that it is a list of objectives for the Operations department. This means that Ryan will not be the only one caring for these goals.
Thanks,
      GerardM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really don't want to get any hopes up. This is one of my goals, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is going to happen soon, or at all.

The topic has been brought up a number of times in the past, and has been pushed off because we have a lot of much higher priority tasks. The last time this was seriously discussed was in Berlin during the dev conference.

At the conference we decided that OpenID as a provider was likely an easy kill, but OpenID as a consumer would be fairly difficult, as it still has some major usability issues.

I should also mention that in the priority of my goals, this is also my lowest priority, as it isn't directly related to my position; I just have a lot of experience with authentication, especially with MediaWiki.

As a last note: I was listing my goals for the year. Some of these are explicitly agreed upon with the foundation, and others are not. I've discussed this with the foundation, but it isn't explicitly a goal I'm assumed to achieve.

Anonymous said...

Gah. The last comment was by Ryan Lane. OpenID obviously isn't identifying me properly :D.